December 3, 2008
December 7, 2008

**ANNOUNCEMENT**

December 21st CFDC will be having it’s first annual “Winter Solstice” party hosted by none other than Tuba Steve! Dec 21 = solstice, get it? It’ll be held after class. Keep an eye on the blog and comments for more details! And don’t by shy, bring some goodies for the party!

Warm-up, on the Court:

3x

20 squats
10 push-ups

THEN…

Lunge walk to other side of court
5 Wall-Walkers (or was it Wall Crawlers?)
Lunge walk back to beginning

Workout I: The CFHQ’s WOD

Using a single dumbbell, complete 5 rounds for time of:

10 Alternating lunges (5 steps per side)
15 DB Swings

Times will be listed further down, but post loads to comments.

Workout II

In pairs, do as many of the following in 12 minutes:

15 DB Thrusters
Bearcrawl out to the end
Sprint Back

Only one person goes at a time. So while person A is working through the circuit, person B is resting.

RESULTS!!!

The times for the first workout are on the bottom half of the white board.

1. CFDC Maiko says:

For the first workout I used one 35# DB & finished at 5:36mins. Was hoping to finish sooner but my back went spaztic and tightened up on me. It’s relaxed now but I do feel something off =( Must be irritating old injuries somehow.

For the second workout Chris W. and I used 25# DBs for the thrusters, and boy did they suck!! I’m thinking in order to get better at thrusters I just need to work on getting comfortable in & coming out of that deep squat. So…more front squats for me! Once the back is better of course. *sigh*

2. reggie says:

I used a 40# dumbbell for the lunge/swing combo (I did overhead lunges), and whaddyaknow? I finished first in a time of 4:43 [Imagine that! :-)]. Masters rule…

…but not for long. For the relay (the second part of the workout), the true masters, Tom A. and I, used a pair of 40# dumbbells. The thrusters got progressively worse for me as my shoulders (my weakest link) gave out (as usual with moderate-to-heavy weight and high reps).

The stretching at the end was very creative [although if one attended Winnie’s yoga class(es), one would sense deja vu], and I think that more stretching in class should be performed.

Nonetheless, it was a good workout and a great effort — as always — by everyone.

Oh, I have dibs on making macaroni-and-cheese for the party! 🙂 I haven’t decided on making collard/mixed greens…yet.

Well I had to bail out on this class very early on because I had pain in my left knee. Looks like I will be out for a few days 🙁

Maiko your thrusters may have sucked in feeling but they looked great. You have very nice form and lots of explosive power.

Reggie… Nice job on finishing first with the first workout.

4. CFDC Maiko says:

“…I think that more stretching in class should be performed.”

HINT HINT WINK WINK MR. TOM BROSE! =P

Honestly, I agree with Reggie. We need a longer “cool down” period after these workouts, but I wouldn’t know how to go about developing an effective cool down session. I’m thinking AT LEAST 10 mins though.

Sara I hope your knee is feeling better! I hate when my bum knee acts, well, like a bum knee! lol And thanks for the compliments on the Thrusters! So hard to tell if you’re doing something right or wrong without someone else’s input.

Oh, and I had an epiphany! I suck at giving advice to people I don’t really know, so I’m ditching the personal trainer thing. Plus I don’t have nearly as much knowledge about being active as others since MOST folks did some kind of sports in school while I did not. I WILL still try to go to a L1 cert, just because I should at this point. But yeah, being somewhat decent @ CF/CFDC =/= being a decent personal trainer.

5. CFDC Maiko says:

UGH, I really wish you could edit your old comments instead of making new ones! Anyhoo…what kinda of food does one bring to a CFDC Winter Solstice party? I’m not very knowledgeable in the ways of potlucks and such.

6. reggie says:

@Sara:
    Thank you, but it’s a microscopic victory if one looks at the big picture. 🙂 The biggest competition in class is…myself. In most cases, I am just happy to *finish* regardless of where I place. 🙂 At my age, it’s not about finishing first, it’s about finishing. 🙂

Take care of your knee, and make sure that you are employing R.I.C.E. (rest, ice, compression, elevation). I can relate very well to your knee problem(s) (*wink*).

@Maiko:
    You actually know more than what you give yourself credit for. 🙂 Two words about what to bring to the party: comfort food. 🙂

7. CFDC Maiko says:

But being knowledgeable about a subject doesn’t necessarily mean you can effectively communicate that information to others, which is my problem. =( PLUS, it really takes me a long time to feel comfortable talking to anyone (honestly it usually takes a year), which would be terrible in a field where most people I interact with are strangers who I may not see after a few months of training!

Anyway, will have to think of some comfort food to make. I only specialize in broccoli and chicken karaage as far as cooking goes!