February 22, 2009
February 27, 2009

QUARTER GONE BAD PLUS
(way more than a quarter!)

This workout was based on the CrossFit.com WOD “Quarter Gone Bad”, which was developed for John Welbourne, NFL player and Crossft Balboa owner. John is a seriously big guy, and the original workout was set for repeated short, powerful bursts over 15 minutes. The WOD uses 135 Thrusters, 45lb weighted pullups and burpees.

Our version:
8 rounds
15 seconds all out work: 45 seconds rest
Thrusters (115lbs M/ 75 W)
Pullups (40 lbsM/ BW W)
Burpees
KB Swings (32kg M/ 45 lbs W)

Scaling as needed, scored by total reps.
Bold indicates workout as RX’d

Steve O. 225
Steph 223
Salty 216
Kim 211
Sara 204 The heroic only female to do all full pullups!
Fatima 190
Matt 187
Zach 186
Rob 178 First time thrustering 115!
Ami 176
Reggie 175
Tom 163
Gary 159
Rhonda 155
Scott 151
Jeremy scoresheet AWOL!

1. Maiko says:

nice work everyone, especially Sara and those full pull-ups & Rob with the 115# thrusters!! 😀

I didn’t realize that was the origin of Quarter Gone Bad, very interesting. That’s actually a workout I wanted to try even if I can’t do 95# thrusters (I think that’s what ANYC was using in the video for the workout).

I spent the evening at the hospital and got some meds to help with the tummy issues. yay for meds! boo for excessive stomach acid!

Ummm…I *did* do the workout as prescribed (115# thrusters, 40# weighted pull-ups, 32 kg kettlebell swings) as I partnered with Steve O., Salty, and Tom A. (after I was “pushed away” from working with Zach, Scott, and Rob). 🙂

Where’s the love? lol

This was a brutal workout, but I did like it (somewhat).

CrossFit DC’s own ODB is…still “Zonin'”

I guess that we could have called last night’s workout the “Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday) workout,” but there was nothing “fat” (other than the volume) about it. 🙂

Well Reggie your not getting enough love an I am getting too much because I almost did the workout as prescribed. My group did 65# on thrusters not 75# :).

I did notice a difference in my kipping – it is getting better. I was pushing away from the bar much more and getting all the way chest to bar. Ofcourse I did ripp open a callus on my hand :(. I guess I should try to see if I can do a dead hang pull-up someday. I am not sure if I can.

P.S. Great work to everyone yesterday!!!! That was a good workout 🙂

Sorry Reggie, I thought you modified the Pullups! Sara I guess none of the women used 75, so 65 was the top weight.

Regardless, great work from EVERYONE! Nice to see the return of Rhonda, and our new recruit fatima stepping it up.

Now i need to track down a few missing people, startng with Christian!

7. Rob says:

Nothing but love Reggie! Because I hadn’t thrustered (we’re making up a lot of words today) 115# before, I wasn’t sure if I could do it past the 1st round, so I needed to be near the 95# pound bar. We knew you wouldn’t have that problem. 🙂

I have been wondering where Christian has been too, but I remember him saying he was going to be travelling a lot after the new year.

9. SaltyHat says:

Maiko – sorry to hear about your gastro-intestinal problems. Hope you are feeling better today.

Enjoyed the workout last night – even learned a few things. First, I need to work on my deadhang pull-ups. Second, it is not wise to attempt to kip with a 40# DB between your knees.

It really hit me after Round 4. I found that I could really drive myself on one exercise to gain an extra rep (or maybe even two), but that it would catch up to me during the next exercise (or maybe even two). Really felt it in my traps on the last round where I started yanking down on the KB to try and speed things up.

Weatherman is telling me that Thur. is supposed to be a nice day – anyone else small a little running in the air?

10. Anonymous says:

No, I don’t small a run. No night running please.

Glad to be back, glad to have that achy feeling in my legs 🙂

Fatima did really well, I was impressed. And she’s sweet too.

Sara, you always rock. Wondered about you Maiko. Hope you feel lots better. Do you get to eat ice cream and jello while in the hospital? Or am I thinking of another type of sickness?

Cya Thursday.
    Rhonda (I’ll get an account someday)

11. SaltyHat says:

Large a run then, maybe??

Yesterday was a good workout – it’s actually my arms aching today from the pull ups. I liked the variety. We did do 135 thrusters once a while ago in a workout involving numbers (I think 5 or seven 135 thrusters), as well as some number of box jumps and double unders. I like the heavy thrown in with the Metcon. Anyway see everyone next Tuesday Ami and I will be in LA for a few days so maybe we’ll take in a clss or two at Crossfit LA.

13. Maiko says:

Rhonda I wish I did eat tons of ice cream!!! All I got was paper work and some pills to take care of the stomach. Actually dairy products have been good to the tummy…hmmm….

Feeling muchos better, so hopefully I’ll be in class Thursday!

…and why you gotta bring up running Salty??

Hmmm…according to weather.com, tomorrow’s temperature around 1800 is supposed to be 51 Fahrenheit (or 11 Celsius/centigrade).

Maybe instead of running, we can flip that big-ass tire that is located on the side of Balance Gym. 🙂

But…if running is prescribed, then I’ll do it (hopefully it will be brief…yeah, I “small” a run…ha ha ha).

@Maiko: I extend my well wishes to you. I’m glad to hear that you are feeling better.

@Tom and Ami: Have a great trip!

@Rob: No worries. I didn’t take it personally (note the smile emoticons and quotation marks in my earlier comment). It all worked out for everyone (and that is the main point). But is “thrustering” a word in Webster’s? 🙂

15. sara says:

well I just sat in a long meeting and when I got up to leave I realized I pretty sore in the back from the pull-ups and swings.

Thrustering is one of my killerest words.

17. Maiko says:

Thrustering is one of those killerest exercises as well O_o

to Reggie – Thanks for the well wishes! ^o^

to Tom & Ami – You guys ever going to share some pics of your trips to CFLA?? =P

Damn you Salty, stop bringing up running! Especially on Thursdays when we have to run over to kickboxing after class already!

Thrusters didn’t feel too bad, although Tom pointed out that I need to keep my core tight at the bottom.

Tried to do real pull-ups instead of jumping pull-ups after 3 rounds and saw my numbers drop significantly. Definitely need to work on those and also my kipping still. Arms and traps sore today.

Didn’t realize that the girls were supposed to use 45lb kb for the swings, thought it was 16kg and that Sara was just going heavier cuz the 16kg felt too light to her. Would’ve used the 45lb if I had known.

Great workout by everyone as always! Looking forward to Thursday 🙂