October 30, 2009
November 4, 2009

More work on the Deadlift. Sunday morning provided everyone with an extra hour of sleep, so I expected people to feel good. My plan was to focus on some individualized correction and work the problem areas of each persons lift. To begin, we worked up to 4 sets of 3 reps, not approaching max weight. Heres what we worked on:

Reggie: pulling from the floor, but focusing on keeping triceps pulled back to lats.
Tom A.: problem is off the floor, so we put him on plates to elevate him. Also worked on getting quads into the lift
Chris S. Same corrections as Tom A., getting a little more squat into the setup helped his back position a lot.
Frank: just tightened up starting position.
Chris W. flexibility is the issue, so we put the bar up a few inches to get him into a better position. Pulling from the mid shin is not easy either.
Brendan: Same, worked on keeping the bar in close to body.
Sara: Up on plates to work off the floor, 275 will go soon!
Steph: Same setup, 225 soon. made good improvements.

METCON:
POWER JACKIE
500 M Row
30 Push press (95/65)
20 pullups

Loved the deadlift workout, but, then again, I love deadlifts. 🙂 Thanks to Coach’s corrections and recommendations, pulling 315# felt as if I was pulling 225#. In other words, it felt great even though I was nowhere near my PR.

I even liked the met-con portion even though my pull-ups sucked. Yeah, I know, I have to get working on my kipping pull-ups.

Miles to go before I sleep. 🙂

CFDC’s own ODB…is still waiting for a tire-flipping workout [ain’t gonna happen tomorrow (November 3)] and wonders what Election Day WoD Coach will concoct.

I will never complain when the workout involved deadlifts. Deadlifting while standing on plates felt good. I will have to do that more. Definitely would like to work on my quads and balance out my hammie and quad strength.

The metcon was a good one. I was surprised at how difficult the push presses were after the row.

3. SaltyHat says:

It’s been a while since I did double duty, and thankfully Tom didn’t punish us too much. I really liked the elevated deadlifts – the movement combined with Tom’s comments really brought home to me where I had been deficient in the movement. Glad to see Frank wade right in; me thinks we have another convert…

4. SaltyHat says:

(p.s. – too bad no one took pictures at class Sunday…)

Thanks for the corrections on the dl form Coach! Standing on the plates didn’t feel much easier or harder, not sure if that means anything?

Holy slow on the metcon though, disappointing. Definitely need to get my upperbody strength back.

Yeah, what’s up with no pics???

I enjoyed the class as well with th emix of hard, heavy then fast. Great DL focus for me that I am going to hit in th enext few weeks in my quest to get over the 300 mark in at least one of the lifts and shooting for same with the lbbs by year end. I second the tire flipping. Nice to see some new faces in class not that there’s any thign wrong with the “old”faces (hey I resemble that remark.).

7. Jade says:

I’m not sure if anyone is still keeping up or not, but Blair Morrison finished 1st in the Scandinavian Crossfit Challenge. His blog describes the WOD’s for the competition.