June 15, 2011
June 20, 2011
REBOUND

After running class through Fran on Tuesday, started off a little slower and more concentrated on Thursday – before speeding up at the end, of course…

Warm-Up/Balance:

“Balance” here is referring to overcoming imbalances through unilateral movements, thus “balancing” out the body. Work on holding yourself to the same standards for each side – i.e., if you can squat all the way down and touch the floor while balancing on your strong leg, don’t let yourself simply bend over, rounding the back, in order to touch the floor when balancing on your weak leg.

Strength: 6 x 3 Close Grip Bench Press

“Close Grip” = hands should be directly above your shoulders after un-racking the bar (DON’T grip the bar narrower than your shoulders, as this puts undue stress on the wrists). When performing the close grip bench, keep the elbows tucked in towards the body, and concentrate on keeping the eccentric portion of the lift nice and controlled, while making the concentric portion explosive, driving the bar up away from your chest as quickly as possible.

Met-Con: 7 x 30″ ON, 30″ OFF Box Jumps

There were two requirements for this workout; First, you must jump continuously through-out the 30 seconds of work, which led to the other requirement; Second, use a box lower than you would usually jump on to help facilitate the continuous jumping requirement.

Great work by all. Rest up and get ready for what’s sure to be a fun posterior chain special on Sunday.

I really need to work on my handwriting if Chris keeps posting these photos on the blog. That warmup can be a great self diagnostic. We didn’t just throw those exercises in to get the blood flowing, but to see what you could find in your movement. This also gave some things to work on outside/ before/after class- if you don’t have enough to work on as is.

Close Grip Bench requires the same setup and execution (mostly) as the flat bench. Make sure to set the feet, arch the back, get “tight” in position before the lift. Lowering doesn’t need to be slow, but under control, followed by an explosive punch up.

Box jump intervals were done very well, I saw a lot of improved posture and rebounding. I think thats a great way to develop them as a “competition” skill, but wasn’t expecting to see how much of a toll they took.

Great job, see everyone on Sunday!

2. Ethan says:

I am not as sore in the quads as I thought I would be today, but those box jumps were a lot more difficult then I thought they would be.

I am on vacation for a week so I won’t be in class until at least next Tuesday. I plan on bringing a jump rope, we will see if it makes an appearance.

Don’t worry Ethan, we won’t forget to have a special Birthday WoD once you’re back!

Last night was a good workout. I arrived late (thanks metro DC traffic) and went through the entire warm-up before moving on.

Close-grip bench press: I managed to get two work sets in: 155# x 3 and 175# x 3. Both of those sets felt good, but I do need to remember to keep my elbows in on the negative portion. I felt as if I had a few more sets left in the tank, but I had to get the met-con in.

[Note to Coach-the-DJ: More death metal during bench pressing sessions, okay? :-)]

Met-con: The interval box jumps were fun. I worked with Julia [bows down to an “I’m not worthy” stance :-)], and she really pushed me (in a good way, thanks Julia). 🙂 I did between twelve and fourteen jumps in the intervals due to the fact that I step off the box as opposed to “jump on, jump off.”

Post-class: It was interesting in yoga that we did quite a few side plank holds (which was a bit deja vu since we did “T” push-ups in the CrossFit warm-up).

“Not too bad for an old man.” – CFDC’s own ODB

5. Dian says:

Gosh, I’m sorry I missed this. I got suckered into babysitting yesterday and I was on duty longer than expected. Aunts, we get no respect at all.

Happy Birthday Ethan! See you all on Sunday.

6. Erica says:

First off, what is a posterior chain?? I echo Ethan’s sentiments about not being as sore as I thought I’d be in the quads after those continuous box jumps (was able to pump out a 8.5 miler early this morning), but I found those to be a lot harder than expected trying to keep the continuous pace. It was inspiring working with Andrea on the CGB; she made them look easy. I remember finding the regular bench press a lot easier, but was struggling on my 4 rounds with 70#s. Definitely a skill to work on. Another happy birthday shout-out to Ethan and also to Ben who turns 30 this Saturday! And icing on the cake, he plans on making class on Sunday morning after his party the night before…hold him to it 🙂

@Erica- the posterior chain is your muscles on the back side of your body (hammies, gluets, lats, etc)

I am sorry I had to sit out on this one. I definitely need work on cycling box jumps. Plus I like any kind of bench/floor pressing. I have been feeling a bit dizzy/light headed since Wednesday afternoon. Had a not so great oli lifting session we’d evening so just did a couple drills before class and the therapeutic warm-up then sat out for the rest of class. Will take the whole weekend off and hopefully will feel better next week.

8. SBV says:

Sorry to have missed class on Thursday. It was our first softball game of the season. I’m proud to report that CrossFit DC does a great job of keeping you ready for any sport. I had three hits, and Mary Catherine had two!

Did my best to make-up this workout on Friday. I subbed strict press for close-grip bench press due to lack of spotter. It was my first time pressing in a few months as I have been trying to avoid the rack position to protect my elbow. I focused on bracing the mid-section hard with glutes turned on. It’s difficult to do sometimes, but focusing on form kept my shoulders and arms in a more proper position and I felt zero pain in the elbow region. That damn left elbow started trying to flare out on me on the last two sets, but I tried my best to keep tight and maintain external rotation.

The box jumps were interesting. I finally developed the rhythm toward the middle rounds, just before my legs started to fatigue. I’d like to practice more of these in the future. I dropped down to the 20″ box.

I’ll be at the U.S. Open on Sunday, but will see everyone on Tuesday.

9. Andraea says:

I enjoyed trying to do the box jumps continuously as I never jump down but rather step down. I had always been scared that it was going to hurt the knees. It was challenging and the rhythm is something I need to work on. I was jumping too far off every time which made me have to reset after a couple. It was great to watch Julie do them and watch her form through it which I tried to mimic. I felt a bit sore in the hamstrings from them but not too bad.

I loved the warm up! For some readon I love doing balance movements and single leg deadlifts!

I’m out of town for work for the next week and a half. I’m hoping I can keep up the workouts on my own and be able to get my butt out of bed in the mornings to do them since that’ll be the only time to fit it in. Hopefully won’t be suffering too badly when I get back.

10. Brendan says:

Great work everyone! Finding the right rhythm I thought was the key to the box jumps. Thankfully my chins stayed intact this time.

Brendan, a little focus on nutrition and you won’t have to worry about the extra chins.

12. StevenR says:

Your caption of “Rebound” by my photo was right on the mark as that’s what I’m trying to do in other areas of my life right now. It’s so important to stay physically active to keep one’s moods in balance.

Regarding the workout, although the box was low it helped me to maintain a somewhat constant rhythm while jumping.

I thought my balance would have been better due to yoga but these moves were just a little off the standard asanas to make them challenging.