June 20, 2011
June 24, 2011
IF PUSH COMES TO PRESS

Coming to class Tuesday night, you could be sure of one thing: there would be no squats! Except…there were squats. Hey, it’s what we do.

Warm-Up:
30 Squats, followed by
3 x 10 Dislocates, 10 Push-Ups, 10 Hollow Rocks, and a Sampson Stretch “Plus”

Those first few squats were going to be uncomfortable if you were in class on Sunday, but best to go ahead and get them out of the way. The “Plus” in the Sampson Stretch was a nice quad stretch in the lunge position – step out into a lunge position, reaching your hands overhead to allow your hips to push deeper into the stretch, and hold for 15 to 20 seconds. After holding this position, reach back and grab the foot/ankle of the rear leg and pull it towards your butt, holding this position for another 15 to 20 seconds.

Strength:
2 x 5, 5 x 3 Push Press

The following weight percentages were suggested: 5 @ 50% of your 1RM, 5 @ 70%, 3 @ 80%, and 3 @ 90%; the final 3 sets were used to find a 3RM for the day.

Remember, a PP (push press) is not a dip-drive into a strict press; you should be able to complete the PP in one fluid motion. If the weight begins to stall at all (usually around eye to forehead level), drop down in weight. If the weight feels light (i.e., you could strict press the weight without issue, but the PP is still stalling), then check your form – are dipping too far? are you getting on to your toes before reaching full extension? is the weight getting out in front of you?

remember, the “dip” portion of the dip-drive is an unlocking of the knees (as shown above) – any farther, and you’re getting into a partial squat, which will require more work from you and thus be of less assistance on the drive.

These are typical form flaws that are easy to correct. If the weight is just to heavy, then you are getting into Push Jerk territory; not a bad thing, but not the programming for Tuesday.

Met-Con:
3 x 20 Pull-Ups, 20 Box Jumps, 20 KB swings every 6 minutes

Done in groups of 3 under a staggered start – e.g., P1 led off, P2 went at 2 min, and P3 at 4 min, with P1 beginning the 2nd round at 6min, and so on. This was a met-con, so continual motion was sought. Thus, pull-ups were scaled to jumping pull-ups (rather than band assisted or strict).

Also, keying off of last Thursday’s workout, the box jumps were meant to be continuous – that’s with as little rest as possible, and so if that requires you to choose a slightly lower box than usual, do so. Your goal is to have the box jumps resemble the following:

the video’s a little dark, but that’s Julia ripping through her 20 box jumps during the second round of the met-con!

Nice work through-out class, with everyone completing all prescribed reps in all 3 rounds of the met-con. Hopefully everyone’s legs are now back in working order.

Julia’s a machine!!!! Those box jumps were impressive.

It looks like McKenzie’s bending the bar in the picture.

Good work combining the skill aspect of the box jumps we worked last week at pace. “Sprint” style met-cons with a long rest break seem too easy at first, but quickly become brutal. Lots of good encouragement from the group helped.

A few notes on the video. Julia has improved greatly on these, even from the Open workout a month or so back.
    Good Points:
    -Looking forward
    -Torso upright (byproduct of above)
    -Use of arms
    -light landing/ quick rebounding
    Not as Good Points
    – Needs a little more hip extension on some reps.

Add to the Good Points:
    -landing close to the box (don’t jump back away from it)

4. James says:

I definitely liked the “sprint” style for the met-con. It had enough pressure to go fast but there was also enough time for me to focus on form for a specific number of reps compared to an AMRAP where my form usually suffers more by the end.

Jumping pull-ups really let me keep up the speed compared to band assisted.

Also, box jumps are one of my favorite exercises, even though I’m not up to Julia’s level yet.

5. SBV says:

Push press was a lot of fun yesterday. My positioning in the front rack has improved greatly over the past few months. For the first time, I was able to keep the bar in my palms (rather than finger tips) while still maintaining a strong shelf for the bar to begin the initial drive. Much less stress on the wrists and, more importantly, much less loss of power. I also focused on keeping a neutral spine and keeping my glutes active (the two seems to go hand-in-hand if done properly).

My working sets were at 145#, 155#, and 165#, which I’m pretty sure was a personal best.

I breezed through the first round of the metcon like a house-of-fire. All 60 reps unbroken. Then, on the second round, my grip started to fail on the kettlebell swings. The third round was absolutely brutal. I couldn’t stay on the pull-up bar or the kettlebell. I actually had to stop myself for about a minute after the third round of box jumps because my heart was racing out of control. I haven’t felt like that in a really long time. Needless to say, it was a great workout.

6. StevenR says:

That was the most I’ve done with the push press at 115 pounds. I discovered that I need to keep my head back when pushing up because one time I knocked my chin.

The met-con didn’t look so bad in writing on the menu board, but the 3rd round of box jumps were daunting.

I still need some work on the kettle ball swings. Thanks for the coaching guys.

Steve

7. Ben says:

Tuesday’s workout was a great one to get back into the swing of things.

Tom, you’re definitely right about the “sprint” style. At first it seemed pretty easy, but got progressively harder. Good tips and encouragement from the rest of the group definitely helped!

Well I just jumped in for the metcon and scaled it so I wouldn’t over do it before the meet Saturday. I cut the reps in half for each exercise. Yesterday was progress for me though cause I started to string a few box jumps together. I still tend to jump back if I jump off the box.

9. Julia says:

Thanks, guys, and thanks, Tom, for the form correction. I’d like to box jump like Chris/Tigger one day!

I think the sprint/long rest format generally works to my advantage, but I really struggled on the pullups – just as I did last week, during the thrusters/pullups. (Okay, okay, point taken – these. need. work!). With each round, I’d get through 10-12 before coming off the bar and struggling through some ugly doubles and singles on my way to 20. Sprint? Not so much. So you can say I was pretty determined to let loose on the box jumps.

Thanks to Tom, Sebastian, and others for the good cues on the KB swings (snap the hips; get overhead but not backwards; control, control, control).

10. Dawn says:

Hi CFDC!!! Miss you guys so much!! I’m all moved into my new place in NY! I have tried every box in NYC, and think I’m nearly ready to chose my new cf home! Have been working hard tonget back on the cf wagon, and eating a clean paleo diet for almost a month now! It’s surprising how much easier it is to be healthy when not in business school!!

Besides that, I also got my ass kicked by Fran this week :). Had Barely any trouble with the 65lb thrusters, but the pull ups continue to be my worst goat! Blahhh! I made a deal with myself to do 10 pull ups before and after every wod. I’m so sick of not being able to do them,

Also had a good deadlift week. Got 3 reps at 243. Haven’t done a 1 rep max in a long time. Curious to see where I’d come in on that.

Oh ya….Congrats Ben & Erica!! Couldn’t be more happy for you guys!!!

I love keeping up with you guys on the blog! Looks like everyone is doing great and making progress! My email is daw.markovics@gmail.com if anyone ever wants to drop a note! I miss you guys and hope to make it back tom visit soon!!

Xo
    Dawn

11. Dawn says:

Oops… Dawn.markovics@gmail.com. Ha! Also, I check fb obsessively so keep me in the CFDC loop!!

I love PP – wish I could have made it to class. see you all tonight though. And DAMN Julia!

Great to hear from you Dawn!

14. SaltyHat says:

Dawn, thanks for the update, and glad to hear you’ve found a home for your continued CF adventures! You are missed, but hopefully we’ll get to see you again in the not so distant future.