December 31, 2012
January 4, 2013
LEND ME YOUR yEARS

As far as 2012 is concerned, no need for lending, you can keep it. We’re looking for some monumental changes in 2013, and some none too soon. Of course, while many will make empty resolutions about fitness, CFDC held true to our M.O. and kicked off the new year with kick ass workout.

Warm-Up:
2min Jump Rope;
2 x 10 Alt. Samson Stretch Lunges + 10 Alt-T Push-Ups;
2min Jump Rope;
3 x 15 Squats, 3 Dive Bomber Push-Ups;
2min Jump Rope

Met-Con:
1 Round For Time of
15 HSPU,
15 Burpees, 75 DUs,
15 Burpees, 75 DUs,
15 Burpees, 75 DUs,
15 Burpees, and,
15 HSPU

After some some post-warm-up mobility work to make sure the shoulders were prepped, we prepped for the days workout: For time, complete 15 handstand push-ups, followed by three rotations of 15 burpees and 75 double unders, one more set of 15 burpees, and a final set of 15 handstand push-ups.

Scaling for movements included a repeat of our high knees plus single skips in place of the double unders, and piked push-ups/elevated feet push-ups/regular push-ups in place of the HSPU.

Finisher:
1min V-Sit, 1min Rest;
1min Plank, 1min Rest;
1min Side Plank Rt, 1min Rest;
1min Side Plank Lf;

To close out the day’s work, we hit a quick progression of core work. This is less about giving you “six-pack abs,” and more – really, all – about strengthening the core by teaching ourselves how to dig down to maintain control over our mid-section even when exhausted.

Flexibility/Mobility

Less than two weeks ago, we had special guest instructor, Winnie Au, stop by to run class through a little post-workout stretching (“COME WHAT MAYAN“). Everyone liked it so much, Tom asked her to stop back by after our New Year’s throw down for a follow-up session. We said it then, but we’ll say it again in case any of you missed it, but “[a]s much as we might push you in your workouts, it probably pales in comparison with where Winnie will take you in your stretching.” Frankly, there are some times where it would probably be easier, and less painful, to do a day’s worth of burpees. However, you wouldn’t realize nearly as much gain out of it.

Happy New Years everyone! Looking forward to many more workouts in 2013, including the all important, and much anticipated, Inaugural WOD to christen the new space.

Happy New Year CFDCers! 2013 will surely be better than 2012 with the opening of the new gym! Can’t wait!

Glad I made it to class yesterday as I desperately needed to get back on the eat-well-and-exercise wagon. I’ve found that eating badly has a much bigger negative impact on my energy level and ability to endure “the suck” than not working out. I’ve noticed a dramatic decrease in both in the past two weeks as my eating got out of control. Did HSPUs to my folded up coat, and my burpees and double unders were pretty broken up. It was awesome to see Ben kill the workout.

Thanks to Winnie for the special stretching session. Those sessions are always much more painful than the workouts themselves.

See you guys on Thursday!

2. Julia says:

I just wanted to say thank you, very much, to everyone, coaches and classmates, for waiting and letting me finish yesterday, and for helping me get to the end. I’m very grateful.

And thank you Winnie! The mobility session was just as humbling, and just as needed.

Happy New Year, CFDC! Here’s to an awesome new gym, and many more tough workouts and challenges to overcome. 2013 is going to be a great year.

3. Anonymous says:

Tom, thanks for letting me drop in! Great class & great stretching. Good luck with the new space! I look forward to seeing it next time I am in town.
    – Jenny

4. Katie says:

Looks awesome, so sorry I missed it! My workout yesterday involved a combination of crab walk (useful while scrubbing floors), dead lifting/front squatting boxes, OH step-ups (kitchen appliances into tall cabinets), and farmers carry. Luckily, my workout clothes are unpacked, so I’ll see you all tomorrow!

5. SBV says:

This was a serious case of the good and the bad.

First, the good: I completed 15 unbroken handstand push-ups (“HSPUs”) to start the workout. This was a personal best by 7! And, it far exceeded my goal of completing 10 unbroken HSPUs by this year’s Open. I worked through the burpees and double-unders at a nice pace and got back to the wall in under 10 minutes.

Second, the bad: It took me another 10 minutes to finish my last 15 HSPUs. I did three in a row, but then had to resort to singles (including quite a few failed reps). I finished the workout in 19.37.

I’m not really sure what to make of this experience. I’m obviously making awesome progress on my pressing strength endurance. However, I clearly have a lot of work to do before I can finish a workout like this without completely burning out.

Happy New Year CFDC!!!! I am so looking forward to 2013 and this workout was a great way to kick it off.

I had to take the HSPUs 1 at a time for both the first 15 and the last 15. The double unders went pretty well for me considering. I had some rough spots in stringing them together but was able to string together 20+ and 30+ DUs multiple times during the workout.

I finished in 24:?? I think it was closer to 25 minutes than 24.

Thank you to Winnie for the stretching. It is always great even if it hurts more than the workout.

7. Dian says:

Happy New Year CFDC! 2013 will be a great year!

It sucked missing the New Year workout but I’ve been nursing a “throat thing.” I’ve been alternating between sounding like Barry White and Gollum. Decided it was best just to take the time to get better.

Looking forward to finally being back in action on Saturday.

8. Dan Samarov says:

Did this in Boston Monday… unfortunately it was snowing and didn’t have space for DU’s so subbed 30 air squats, finished in 7:17.