Tuesday, 10/21October 20, 2014
Wednesday, 10/22October 21, 2014
In a sea of galactic-kitten-print spandex, spangly-sequiny-Space-Age shorts, and Minion goggles, he may not have stood out at the Smackdown for his sartorial choices. But where he may have lagged in style (in a manner of speaking) points… you bet he made up for in ferocity on the competition floor!
This edition of CFDC Athlete Spotlights features the indefatigible Andrew F., a 6am regular at 14th Street who has, in recent weeks, celebrated not only 1) a successful Smackdown but also 2) becoming a dad! Congrats, Andrew, on the birth of your new baby girl!
With a background in triathlon, Andrew is a speed demon when it comes to any kind of running workout, as well as a muscle-up champ who can string reps together for days. Besides setting times to beat, you can always count on him for an encouraging word — and your daily dose of 6am snark and sarcasm. Read on to hear more about Andrew’s experience with CrossFit DC, and what he has in common with Ben Stiller.
How long have you been doing CrossFit, and what inspired you to begin?
- I started in January of 2013; I had just moved to DC from Boston and was looking for community-based fitness to keep me engaged and motivated. It just so happened that there was a box across from my new apartment and the rest is history.
Favorite and least favorite CrossFit movements?
- Favorite is definitely the muscle up and least favorite, without question, is the wall ball (or the row—or anything where being Peter Dinklage’s height is a disadvantage)
What do you do when you aren’t flinging heavy weights around the gym?
- I work for a legal media company (snooze)
Who should play you when Hollywood makes a move about your life?
- Probably Ben Stiller; we’re equally neurotic and everybody probably laughs at my ridiculousness in the same way they laugh at him
Tell us about a goal you’re working toward (in the gym or beyond).
- Just trying to stay fit and have fun; the immediate goal is to work towards 50 double unders unbroken. I haven’t made any progress since Steph refuses to help me.
If you were a pizza topping, what would you be and why?
- I would say the absence of a topping—I’m a traditionalist and tend to believe that less is more
You could totally win the world championships of _______.
- Competitive anything.
Why do you do CrossFit?
- Because it’s fun. The people at CFDC are what keep me coming and the coaching is second to none. Thanks to everybody for making it a haven from the real world.
Thanks for sharing, Andrew, and thank you for being a part of our community!