For every time that you have heard a coach, teacher, or parent utter the phrase “practice like you play,” don’t you wish there was a booming loudspeaker that reminded these know-it-alls that first, you have to know how to practice?
Welcome to Base Camp, a weekly class specifically designed to meets the needs of our newest athletes.
The Base Camp curriculum has been designed as a bridge between the Elements course and our regular CrossFit classes. The goal of Base Camp is to reinforce technique covered in Elements, introduce some movements not covered in Elements, and determine your baseline strength and best scaling options to be used in regular class programming.
We’re proud that the CrossFit DC community is so welcoming to members of all skill and strength levels. But we also recognize that it can sometimes be intimidating to transition straight from Elements to larger, open-level classes, and train alongside more experienced athletes who may be working at higher weights or more advanced scaling options.
BASE CAMP FAQs
Who can attend?
- CFDC members who are less than 2-3 months out from Elements. The program will build on what you learned in Elements and help you transition into our open-level classes.
What will be covered?
- Base Camp will have a revolving focus on high-priority movements, including:
- * determining current strength levels, with a focus on squatting and pressing
- * furthering understanding of the Olympic lifts
- * reinforcing Kettlebell movements
- * developing a better foundation of gymnastic movements like Toes-to-bar
- * nailing down the technique for movements like Rowing and Double-Unders
- You’ll walk away from Base Camp with a clear understanding of your working weights for Olympic lifts, as well as the best scaling options for you when high-skill movements come up in class.
When is it offered?
- Every Saturday, from 1-2 pm at 14th St, and from 11:30am-12:30pm at H St (the same time as our free intro class). No special registration is needed. Just show up!
How much does it cost?
- There is no additional charge; it is an added benefit of your CFDC membership. Each session will count as one class toward your monthly membership package. For Elements graduates, this will count as one of your four free classes.
If I choose to go to a Base Camp class, can I still attend regular classes?
- YES! Base Camp will be a workout, but it is designed to complement our programming: you can still go to class on Friday or Sunday. However, we don’t recommend going to regular class on the same day.
Will I know in advance what we’re going to cover each Saturday?
- Yes. Each Wednesday, we will post what Base Camp will cover during the coming weekend. Check the “Open Gym” page on our blog (crossfitdc.com -> Blog -> Open Gym) to see what’s planned for that week.
How will Base Camp affect other CrossFit DC classes?
- All classes at Crossfit DC will remain scaleable for all levels and inclusive of all backgrounds. This is not a change in our training philosophy, it’s an expansion of it.
- Everyone will still receive the coaching and attention they need in class, and our classes won’t operate any differently.
We’re excited to offer these new opportunities for our newest members to lift smarter and get stronger. Be sure to check back for subsequent posts on our Open Gym page to see what Base Camp will be tackling each week. See you soon!
CrossFit DC. Lift Smarter, Work Harder, Get Stronger. PROVEN.