Ask the Coach: Tips on GripAugust 18, 2015
Thursday, 8/20August 19, 2015
Focus 1: KB Swings & Single Arm KB Swing
Focus 2: Toes-to-Bar and Kipping Toes-to-Bar
Workout: KB Swings, OH KB Lunge, & T2B
How’s this for an explosive day at Base Camp: KB Swings and Toes-to-Bar – explosive hip power all over the place!
Saturday’s class will include:
- proper form for the multiple versions of KB swings, including Russian-style, American-style, Short-arc American-style, and even single-arm swings;
- advice on how to choose which swing to use in class, as well as a review of common cues you’re likely to hear from coaches;
- fundamentals requirements for toes-to-bar (such as proper back engagement, and body position), and how to apply kipping to the movement (starting with the kipping knee raise); and,
- how to scale all of the days movements for various class workouts, and when to choose to appropriate scaling/substitution option.
To review before class, we highly recommend checking out the following descriptions and demonstrations on both movements (Kettlebell article from Tabata Times; Toes-to-Bar pages courtesy of GymnasticsWOD):
- Improving Your Kettlebell Swing
- Toes to Bar
- Toes to Bar with Kip