Focus 1: Cleans
Focus 2: Box Jumps
Workout: DB Cleans, Box Jumps, V-Ups
It’s been a while since we’ve hit the Olympic lifts in Base Camp, but this coming Saturday’s class will see a return to the Clean, especially the Hang Power Clean, with some extra time devoted to Box Jumps
– Practical review of the Clean movement, focusing primarily on the Hang Power Clean, and including lifts with just the bar and with added weight;
– Practical review of the Push Jerk, and comparing the difference between a Push Press and Push Jerk;
– Appropriate scaling for both strength and met-con based classes involving the Clean;
– Translating technique for a barbell Clean into Cleans using Dumbbells;
– Practical review of proper mechanics for Box Jumps; and,
– Scaling and substitution options for the class workout, including how and when to choose a scaling/sub option.
To review before class, we highly recommend checking out the following descriptions and demo videos from Catalyst Athletics:
Additionally, check out the following blog post reviewing proper form and common mistakes associated with the box jump from Tony Gentilcore:
Exercises you should be doing better: Box Jumps (includes multiple demo videos)
Sorry I’ll miss this Base Camp — I could really use some practice on the cleans. See you next week!
Plenty more O-lifting practice to come, around these parts — no worries! See you next week, Chris!