Just as a friendly reminder, owing to the competition on Saturday, all regular classes are cancelled (including Base Camp, Free Intro, and all Open Gym) at both locations. Come out to H St to cheer on your fellow classmates, and then stick around for the after-party at Vendetta Tavern and Bocce Bar!
Workout 1: Squat-Outta-Luck (AKA, Squat-a-Lot, More!)
– 4 person (whole team) event
– score = total reps
– 9 minute workout
– Each team will be given three 3 minute intervals to accumulate as many reps of Overhead, Front, and Back Squats as possible. The first 3 minute interval will be for Overhead Squats, the second 3 minute interval will be for Front Squats, and the final 3 minute interval will be for Back Squats. There will be no transition time between intervals. Each teammate must complete at least one rep of each squat variation, however team members may work as many times as desired (using various squat variations and weights). Only one teammate may work at a time, but remaining teammates may help in loading the bar, or to re-rack the bar if dropped. Score will be awarded by weight and squat variation, with points awarded as follows:
Weight: 45lb 95lb 135lb 185lb 225lb
OHS (M/F): 1/2 1.5/3 3/6 5/10 9/15
Front (M/F): .5/1.5 1/2 1.5/3 3/6 5/9
Back (M/F): 0/1 .5/1.5 1/2 1.5/3 3/6
– Clamps must be used for any weight other than bar only, and only the weight options provided are allowed; any intermediate weight will be counted as the closest lower weight option (so, using 75lbs only counts as 45lbs, since 75lbs is not an option). The hips must clearly pass below parallel, and the hips must extend fully at the top of every rep.
Workout #2: Get-a-Grip
– 4 person (whole team) event
– score = fastest time
– 10 minute timecap
– Each team will attempt to row a total 200 calories in as fast a time as possible.
Only one teammate will row at a time, and that teammate may only row while the previous teammate performs a Farmer’s hold with two Kettlebells suspended from towels looped through the handles. The first rower will hold 2x12kg, the second rower will hold 2x16kg, the third rower will hold 2x20kg, and the fourth rower will hold 2x24kg (the fourth rower begins by holding the 2x24kg KBs while first person rows).
– Penalty Time = any outstanding calories left at time cap will be assessed as 10 additional seconds per calorie
– Bonus Time = upon finishing the row, teams may use the remaining time to complete as many KB Swings as possible (one person at a time w/ one KB, American-standard to an overhead position, no towel; Men with a 20kg KB, Women with a 12kg KB). Each swing deducts 10 seconds from the final row time.
Workout #3: One or Two?
– One male & one female
– Score = fastest time
– 9 minute timecap
– Each pair will attempt to complete three rounds of the following as fast as possible:
Partner 1 complete one round of Burpees + 10 alt. Single Arm DB Snatch to Overhead Lunge; then,
Partner 2 completes one round of Burpees + 12 DB Squat Cleans.
– Only one person may work at a time, and the number of burpees will be decided, using the chosen dumbbell weights, as follows:
DB Snatch to OH Lunge (Wt = M/F): 20lb = 15/10, 30lb = 12/8, 40 = 9/6 burpees
DB Squat Clean (Wt = M/F): 2x25lbs = 15/10, 2x35lbs = 12/8, 2x45lbs = 9/6 burpees
– There is a 9 minute timecap for this workout. Any outstanding reps at the timecap will be assessed as 10 additional seconds per rep. Athletes may not change weights or movements during the workout. Weights must make contact with the floor before every rep, and athletes must come to full standing, with hips fully open, at the top of each rep before lowering the weight to begin the next repetition.
Workout #4: Give and Take
– One male and one female
– Score = total reps
– 8 minute workout
– Each pair will attempt to complete as many unbroken reps of Shoulder-to-Overhead as possible within 9 minutes. Either partner may start, but only one person may work at a time. Scores will be determined by weight used, with points awarded as follows:
Weight = Points (M/F)
35 = 0/1
65 = .5/2
95 = 1/3
125 = 2/5
155 = 3/7
– Athletes must choose a weight option before the workout begins, and must remain with the weight option for the duration of the workout. Pairs will begin twenty feet apart, with their respective weights position by their partners. One athlete must retrieve their weights, load their bar, and complete as many unbroken reps of S2OH as possible, then strip the weights off, return them to their original position next to their partner, and return to their station before their partner can begin retrieving their weights.
– Clamps must be used for any weight other than bar only, and only the weight options provided are allowed; any intermediate weight will be counted as the closest lower weight option (so, using 75lbs only counts as 45lbs, since 75lbs is not an option). The knees, hips and elbows must be fully extended at top of each rep, with the ears inline or in front of the arms for a rep to count.
Workout #5: The Finals – First Come is First Served!
Rankings will be based on where a team places in a workout, and the 5 teams with the highest rankings will move on to the final workout (i.e., if a team comes in first place in a workout, they get 1 point; thus, four first place finishes would give a team a total of 4 points, which would rank them in 1st place overall). The finals will be a first come, first serve format, wherein teams will be compete head to head in four separate mini-workouts, with only the fastest teams moving on from each workout. The four mini-workouts will be announced at the conclusion of the first four workouts on Saturday, so stay tuned!
Feel free to post any questions to the comments section below, or hold on to them until the pre-workout briefings. Until then, get some rest, and we’ll Smack-you-down tomorrow!
Can you clarify how you are defining unbroken reps in workout 4?
Yes, of course.
To be unbroken, the bar must not drop lower than the front rack position – you can rest with the bar in the front rack, but no lower (so, even if you don’t drop it to the floor, but you lower the bar to your waist, the set is considered broken and the athlete must strip their weights and take them back to the starting position).