Thursday, 3/24March 23, 2016
CrossFit DC Takes on 16.3!March 24, 2016
Focus 1: Strict Press & Push Press
Focus 2: Push Jerk
Workout: DB Cleans, DB Push Jerk (S2OH) & Burpees
Who likes the thruster? No one.
Who’s going to do a lot of thrusters this weekend? Everyone.
But what if a Thruster wasn’t really a thruster. Like, what if it was two different things. Well, it’s basically a Front Squat plus a Push Press, and since we worked Front Squats last week in Base Camp, perhaps we’ll give Push Press a go this week. Along with Strict Press. AND Push Jerks.
Class will include the following points:
- Practical review of set-up and execution for the Strict Press and Push Press (including lifts with just the bar and with added weight);
- Explanation of common coaching cues, and determining how much weight to use during class (and how to estimate a 1 Rep Max);
- What the Push Jerk, as well as how and when to use it in a met-con setting; and,
- Scaling and substitution options for the class workout, including how and when to choose a scaling/sub option.
To review before class, we highly recommend checking out the following information, the first from the archives of Catalyst Athletics (along with demo video), and the second a review of proper rowing technique on the erg from Concept 2 (along with demo video):
Also, as follow up to this week’s base camp class (and others), we suggest using the following online “calculator” to help set a One Rep Max for the above lifts:
- EXRX One Rep Max Calculator (includes percentages and theoretical maxes)