Wednesday, 8/10August 9, 2016
Thursday, 8/11August 10, 2016
Focus 1: Back Squats
Focus 2: Wall Balls
Workout: Wall Balls, Pull-Ups, & Burpees
Base Camp this Saturday will focus on the king of the strength movements (and all around CFDC favorite), the Back Squat. Squats are a staple in our programming, and with class having set a one rep max just over two weeks ago, they’ll start continue to crop up as percentage based work upcoming in the coming months. As such, the goal of Base Camp this weekend will be to better understand proper set-up and execution for heavy back squats, how to correct the majority of faults that derail a good squat, and how much weight you should be using in class, especially during percentage based work. And since everyone will be ‘squat-ready,’ we’ll also do a review of Wall Balls, a movement that has a nasty tendency to be likeable in small numbers, but mean spirited in larger doses.
Class will include:
- Practical review of set-up and execution for a squat (including lifts with just the bar and with added weight);
- Explanation of common coaching cues;
- Determining how much weight to use during class (and how to estimate a 1 Rep Max);
- Set-up, execution, and weight selection for Wall Balls; and,
- Scaling and substitution options for the class workout, including how and when to choose a scaling/sub option.
To review before class, we highly recommend checking out the following information from the archives of Catalyst Athletics:
- Back Squat (Explanation & Demo)
- note that there are some articles linked on the description page, among which we would recommend “Squatting, Valgus Knees, The Knees-Out Cue & Facebook Coaches” to help give you a better idea of what the “knees out” cue is used for.
Also, be sure to use the EXRX One Rep Max Calculator after class to help figure out a 1 rep max back squat!