Our latest Athlete Spotlight features one dynamic duo: Coren and Hans G., regulars at H Street. If you’ve been around them at all, you’ll know that they’re competitive to the hilt between themselves (whiteboard watchers, keep an eye on these two’s ongoing front-squat duel…!) — while also being each other’s best cheerleader.
How did CFDC get fortunate enough to call Hans and Coren two of our own? Read on for more from our featured athletes!
* * *
How long have you been doing CrossFit, and what inspired you to begin?
- Coren: Started November 2014 after a nursing school clinical instructor spent months begging me to try. CFDC came up on a Google search and after trying them out (and struggling to walk) I decided to stick around.
- Hans: I started end of March 2015 because Coren and I had squatting bet going and she was closing in on me. I needed a switch up from squatting and eating (mostly eating).
- Coren: PS. I’m still closing in on him…..
Favorite and least favorite CrossFit movements?
- Coren: Least favorite is snatch- mostly the high-pull aspect, favorite is back squat.
- Hans: I loathe box jumps. Everyone makes fun of how much noise I make. You’ve probably heard about my amazing ab mat sit-ups, but my favorite is anything with the barbell, especially back squats.
What do you do when you aren’t flinging heavy weights around the gym?
- Coren: I work in the Medical ICU at Georgetown. It’s a mix of saving people’s lives, cleaning up bodily fluids, and waitressing.
- Hans: I do tax litigation at a big law firm. So I come in after a company decides to fight with the IRS in court.
Describe CFDC in 7 syllables.
- Coren: Fun people, sweaty workouts.
- Hans: Professional non-athletes (Kidding…)
Design your ideal workout playlist.
- Coren: Anything that makes me feel stronger than I am (Hans: she means white girl rap music).
- Hans: Chris Sheppard’s 80s tunes.
If you could have any superpower you wanted, it’d be ____________ because __________.
- Coren: the ability to out lift my husband because then he might listen to me around the house.
- Hans: Ability to keep my stuff cleaned up because I might avoid annoying Coren.
Tell us about a goal you’re working toward (in the gym or beyond).
- Coren: 2017 will be the year of the muscle up and taking my shirt off more than Patricia.
- Hans: Hopefully buy a house soon. In the gym I need to work on slowing down during metcons to give Staci P. and Matt R. a chance to compete with me.
What do you know now about CrossFit that you wish you knew when you started?
- Coren: Great people and how wonderful the community is.
- Hans: If you rush things and don’t have form and mobility sorted out, you’ll hit a wall at some point and have to backtrack. Easier to work on it from the start.
Why do you do CrossFit?
- Coren: Stress reliever, makes me feel stronger while getting to see my favorite people all the time. And so my back squat gets bigger than Hans’.
- Hans: Best way I’ve found to stay sane sitting at a desk all day. And to make sure Coren’s back squat doesn’t catch up with me.