1. How long have you been doing CrossFit and how long have you been at CrossFit DC?
I have been doing CrossFit for about 4 years now. I started when I was in Atlanta, GA and just fell in love. I normally went to a regular gym and had a trainer but it became too expensive and it was hard staying motivated working out alone. When I joined the CrossFit community, I truly enjoy the family like vibe and I appreciate the workouts being planned for you.
2. What do you do when you’re not crushing workouts at the gym?
When I am not at the gym, I am usually playing my PlayStation, traveling, or skiing – especially this time a year. I like to take about a month off in March to hit the slopes however COVID has but a pause on that recently.
3. What is a goal you’re currently working towards (in the gym or beyond)?
A goal I am working on is trying to improve my shoulder mobility. It is something I have neglected for years and it is limiting me ability to perform certain CF movements.
4. Favorite and least favorite CrossFit movements/workouts?
My favorite CF movements are bar muscle ups and double unders. My least favorite movement is overhead squats because I am limited due to mobility. My favorite hero workout is “Annie”.
5. What is one coaching cue/tip that has helped you recently?
I would say I have two coaching tips that have helped me immensely. Both Chris and Tom have pushed me to work on my set up position for Cleans. I have to remember to keep my butt down which forces me to use my legs. That has helped a ton.
6. What is something you wish you knew about CrossFit when you first started?
A few things I wish I knew when I 1st started CrossFit was how important stretching and mobility are in order to improve performance in addition to minimizing the risk of injury. Secondly, I also wish I knew how inclusive the CrossFit community was years ago because I would have joined earlier. Lastly, I truly enjoy the fun energy of the 5am class!! Coach Chris, aka DJ Skimask, keeps the class fun and HYPE!