1. How long have you been doing CrossFit and how long have you been at CrossFit DC?
I started CrossFit 15 months ago at Mettle Fit (A.K.A. Bronzeville CrossFit) in Chicago. I moved to DC for work the last week of December and started classes at CrossFit DC in January.
2. What do you do when you’re not crushing workouts at the gym
You’ll probably find me on the ice somewhere. I’m an ice hockey defenseman in both coed and all women’s leagues and am the current President of the Women’s Central Hockey League which manages 56 teams with ~1000 women skaters across 5 Midwestern states. I also volunteer with programs to grow the sport among girls, women, and kids of color.
3. What is a goal you’re currently working towards (in the gym or beyond)?
A few of my CrossFit goals for this year are a 400 lb deadlift, a 300 lb back squat, and learning double unders. Outside of the gym, I started biking last year and look forward to joining a riding group in the DMV area. I also love to travel and am on a quest to visit all seven continents with 6 of 7 completed so far (Antarctica 2023!).
4. Favorite and least favorite CrossFit movements/workouts?
5. What is one coaching cue/tip that has helped you recently?
Kiara has given me several tips for my front squat such as lifting my elbows higher, hinging my hips more, and slightly adjusting the direction of my toes that helped me lift heavier weights and feel more comfortable.
6. What is something you wish you knew about CrossFit when you first started?
I wish I knew about the great community of support. I appreciate a good challenge and friendly competition. The people I’ve met in Chicago and now in DC have knowingly and unknowingly pushed me to get better from WOD to WOD.